These pretzel dogs are a combination of the two best baseball game treats: soft pretzels and hot dogs. Bring on the mustard!
Nothing says “summer” more than hot dogs. My boys could live on them, but they are really only something I crave when it’s hot outside and the days are long. Hot dogs are just one of those easy summer dishes that you can throw on the grill and serve a crowd. This time, however, I purchased a special flavor: Cracked Dijon Mustard. That got me thinking about those hot soft pretzels they sell at baseball games with mustard dipping sauce. Why not put the two together? I made some pretzel dough, wrapped them around those awesome hot dogs and BAM! (apologies to Emeril) Pretzel Dogs.
Pretzel Dogs: Easy Summer Dishes
- 3/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp butter , melted
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk , beaten with 1 tbsp water
- sea salt to taste
- 8 hot dogs
- Combine the water, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. (Make sure water isn't hotter than 115° or it will kill your yeast.)
- Sprinkle yeast on top of the water and let it sit for 5 minutes, or until it's getting foamy.
- Add the flour and butter and mix on low with the dough hook until combined.
- Increase to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the edges of the bowl. This was more than 6 minutes for me and my little non-Kitchenaid mixer. 🙂
- Remove the dough from the bowl (it's sticky) and place in a greased bowl, covered with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm room for an hour, or until doubled in size. Mine rose for over 2 hours before I got back to it, and it was fine.
- Preheat the oven to 450° and line a large cookie sheet or two smaller ones with parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray.
- Bring the water and baking soda to a boil.
- Separate the dough into 8 equal parts and shape into 12" ropes with your hands. I dusted my hands with flour to keep it from getting too sticky.
- Wrap one piece of dough around each hot dog, leaving a little sticking out of each end. Pinch the ends of the dough together so they stay put.
- Drop the pretzel dogs into the boiling water one at a time for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon, place on cookie sheet and brush with the egg yolk and water mixture.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and place in the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool before serving with mustard or hot cheese dipping sauce. Yum!
Did you know that during hot dog season (Memorial Day to Labor Day) Americans will consume about 7 million hot dogs?!? They are just about as American as baseball and apple pie. 🙂 And the #1 condiment? Mustard. I’m telling you, these Cracked Dijon Mustard hot dogs wrapped in a soft pretzel are a match made in heaven. Seriously. Make these pretzel dogs. Soon.
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019
- Fun Halloween Recipes for Kids - September 26, 2019