This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Sweet and spicy come together in this is easy Hot Honey Recipe. The result is a delicious sauce perfect for pizza, fried chicken, biscuits and more!
Hot honey brings together the best of both worlds, combining the sweetness we all love with a punch of heat that’ll leave you wanting more. It is versatile and can jazz up just about anything you eat!
Just like the combination of sweet and salty, trying sweet and spicy together can completely change the way you think about certain foods!
What you’ll need for this Hot Honey recipe:
- honey-I like clover honey, rather than anything too floral (like orange blossom)
- red pepper flakes-if you use dried red pepper flakes, you don’t have to refrigerate the hot honey. If you choose to add heat with fresh ingredients like jalapenos or other peppers, just be sure to refrigerate when finished
- apple cider vinegar-this adds a nice tang and deeper flavor to the honey
- salt-just a pinch to amp up the flavor
Step 1: simmer honey and red pepper flakes
Add the honey to a small sauce pan and stir in red pepper flakes. Over med/low heat, bring the honey just to a simmer and then remove from heat.
Let the honey and pepper mixture sit for 10-15 minutes to infuse the honey with heat. When it’s reached your desired level of heat, strain through a fine mesh strainer into a jar.
Step 2: stir in the apple cider vinegar and salt
Add the vinegar and salt to the hot honey mixture and stir well to combine. Let cool and store covered at room temperature for up to three months.
Ways to use Hot Honey:
Drizzle it over a crispy fried chicken sandwich. Swirl it into a tangy vinaigrette for a unique salad dressing. Spread it on your morning toast or biscuits, and you’ll never go back to plain old honey again.
Feeling adventurous? Mix it with some melted butter and baste it over grilled shrimp or roasted vegetables for a zesty kick.
And if you’re a pizza lover, just wait until you’ve experienced the magic of hot honey drizzled over a slice! It sounds weird, but it works!
Other sweet and spicy recipes you might like:
- 1 cup honey clover honey is fine-nothing too floral
- 3 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup honey, 3 tbsp red pepper flakesIn a saucepan, bring the honey and red pepper flakes just to a simmer. Remove from heat and let sit 10-15 minutes to infuse with heat.
- Taste the honey. If it’s reached the desired heat level, then strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a jar.
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, Pinch of saltStir in the apple cider vinegar and salt until evenly combined. Let cool and then store covered at room temperature for up to 3 months.