This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
With a sweet sugar coating and spices that leave a gentle lingering heat, these Sweet and Spicy Nuts are the perfect treat for snacking or gifting!
Do you remember going to weddings or baby showers and every table would have a bowl of those weird pastel mints and a bowl of mixed nuts? (Hello to all my fellow 80’s kids!) So many boring adult parties and so little actual food to eat.
I think that’s where my dislike of nuts in general started. However, if they’d been serving these Sweet and Spicy Nuts my whole opinion of mixed nuts may have been different!
When raw cashews, pecans and almonds are roasted, they release oils that mix with the sugars to make a perfect candy coating. When you add in the spices, you get a burst of flavor and heat that will keep you coming back for more.
Ingredients needed for this Sweet and Spicy Nuts recipe:
- raw nuts-I like pecans, cashews and almonds
- brown sugar-the addition of molasses brings depth of flavor
- white sugar
- cayenne pepper-omit if you’re very sensitive to spice
- chipotle powder-adds a smoky heat
- egg white
Chipotle chile powder brings a delicious smoky heat, but can sometimes be hard to find. If it’s not with the spices in your grocery store, try the international foods aisle. Or substitute Cajun seasoning or chile powder plus paprika for similar results.
1. Mix the sugar and spices in one bowl and then add to the nuts and egg white.
2. Stir well to completely coat the nuts. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast, stirring once.
3. Remove from oven and stir (on the baking sheet) to cool for several minutes.
This will prevent large clumps getting stuck together. Spread back out on the pan and allow to cool completely.
After the nuts are completely cooled, serve them in a bowl or package them up in mason jars to give as gifts.
If you like sweet and spicy foods, you’ll like these recipes
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Sheet Pan Shrimp
- Cranberry Salsa
- Honey Jalapeno Bacon
- Other sweet and spicy foods
Sweet and Spicy Mixed Nuts are a perfect Christmas gift for teachers, coaches and neighbors. Just add a bow!
Sweet and Spicy Nuts
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp salt omit if using salted nuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp chipotle powder, ¼ tsp saltIn a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and cayenne and chipotle; set aside.
- 1 large egg white, 1 cup pecans, 1 cup cashews, 1 cup almondsIn a large bowl, whisk egg white; add nuts. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 300° until golden brown, 18-20 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove from the oven and stir to cool so nuts don’t stick together in clumps. Spread back out and allow to finish cooling.