These Rice Krispie Treat Basketballs make a great treat for any tournament party or game day. Overtime bonus: they’re stuffed with Skittles!
My husband is a sports enthusiast. He enjoys watching just about any kind of sporting event, and Henry is happily and willingly following in his footsteps. So in our home, March=basketball. It doesn’t really matter who’s playing. The sounds of the referee’s whistle, the squeaking of shoes on the gym floor and the swish of the basketball net are playing in the background all month. So rather than fighting the steady influx of testosterone in our house, I embrace it-with food! 🙂
Back in October, my Rice Krispie Pumpkins were really a hit, so I decided to make little crispy basketballs for a fun tournament treat. And these have a fun surprise inside! These “basketballs” are made with the classic Rice Krispie Treat recipe. After coloring the marshmallow mixture and mixing in the cereal, let the mixture cool in the pan for a few minutes. This is a tricky little dance you have to do. If the mixture is too warm, it won’t hold its form. If it is too cool, it becomes too difficult to mold. It needs to be cool enough to touch comfortably but still be a bit pliable.
Find two bowls that are the same size and shape to use as molds. I used these Cake Boss dessert bowls I got for my cake decorating party. Grease the bowls with butter or you will regret it later! Scoop out enough of the mixture to fill the bowl up the sides but not the center. You want to leave a well for filling with a special treat.
After you fill the bowls, let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Turn the bowls over and the crispy ball “halves” should slide right out. Fill one side with Skittles and then press the two halves together to make a ball. Squeeze, press and roll the ball around in your hands until the seam is gone and you have a nice round ball.
How many you end up with will depend on how large your bowls are. I had enough to make three softball-sized balls with a little mixture left over. I used some frosting to pipe lines onto my orange balls so they resembled basketballs. I am not much of an artist, but you can still tell what they are. 🙂 To enjoy your Rice Krispie Treat Basketballs, just pick them up and chomp into them like an apple. Or, you can poke your finger into the treat and find the hollow center. Just pull them apart and enjoy the Skittles hiding inside! They are like giant orange Easter eggs!
Hidden Surprise Rice Krispie Treat Basketballs
- 3 Tbsp butter plus more for greasing the bowls
- 10 oz. large marshmallows about 40 or 5 cups mini marshmallows
- orange food coloring gel or drops
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows, stirring constantly.
- Add the orange food coloring until the mixture reaches desired color.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in cereal, mixing until well coated.
- Find two bowls that are the same size and shape to use as molds. Grease the bowls with butter or you will regret it later!
- Scoop out enough of the mixture to fill the bowl up the sides but not the center.
- After you fill the bowls, let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Turn the bowls over and the crispy ball "halves" should slide right out.
- Fill one side with Skittles and then press the two halves together to make a ball.
- Squeeze, press and roll the ball around in your hands until the seam is gone and you have a nice round ball.
- Pipe lines onto the balls using chocolate or frosting to resemble basketballs
This was was sponsored by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% my own!