I love Pillsbury recipes! Especially ones made with crescent dough-yum! This simple, yet impressive-looking Italian Chicken Braid would be a great “company’s coming” dinner. Just toss a salad together and you have a healthy, delicious meal.The only problem with Pillsbury.com recipes is the lack of step-by-step instructions. Well, they have instructions, but I like PICTURES. I’m a visual learner when it comes to new recipes. So even though they aren’t very pretty, I took some of my own to help you through the process. I also tweaked the original recipe a bit for more flavor (and I never seem to have the actual ingredients on hand for a recipe-even when I’ve planned to make it and already gone shopping!)
Do you like my rolling pin? 🙂 Missing utensils and cooking tools is one of the hazards of letting a toddler freely roam the kitchen. The recipe calls for crescent dough sheets, which are awesome, but my Winco didn’t have them 🙁 Regular crescent dough works.
My filling was about 6 inches wide across the center of my dough rectangle
I used a pizza cutter to make this super quick and easy. Cut slices about one inch apart down the long sides.
Fold the strips on a diagonal, alternating sides. Crease them together if they start to slip. Fold up the short edges.
Brush with egg white (I almost forgot this-I pulled it out of the oven after a couple of minutes. Oops) 🙂
Isn’t that just gorgeous?!?
OK, now that I’ve done what I hate doing myself, and made you scroll past all the photos to get to the recipe, here it is:
8 oz. frozen vegetable medley (I used Italian style blend)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (mine was more shredded than chopped. Same-same.)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (grate it fresh-it’s so much better than the powdered stuff!)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp dried oregano1 tsp basil1 tbsp garlic powderSalt and pepper to taste2 cans Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1 egg white, beaten
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line counter with a cookie sheet-sized piece of parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix vegetables, chicken, Parmesan and mascarpone cheeses. Stir in seasoning.
- On parchment sheet, unroll both dough sheets, overlapping long sides to make 15×13-inch rectangle; press seam to seal. Spoon chicken mixture down center of rectangle in 6-inch-wide strip. Using pizza cutter, make cuts 1 inch apart on each long side of rectangle to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side and pressing to seal. Brush with beaten egg white.
- Transfer parchment paper with loaf to a large cookie sheet.
- Bake 22 to 28 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes.
Linking up with: