This Twice Baked Potato Casserole is like a loaded baked potato without all the work! Creamy mashed potatoes, bacon, cheese, green onions…you’ve got to try this!
Love twice baked potatoes but hate the work of stuffing the shells and baking again? Or do you prefer mashed potatoes? (I’ll take them over baked any day.) Then THIS is the recipe for you. I made these for our Easter dinner yesterday and they were a rousing success. I was glad we had some leftovers to take home. I promptly took care of them today for lunch 🙂 I really like recipes from Six Sisters’ Stuff because they are made up of “normal” and accessible ingredients for a home cook. You really can’t go wrong with potatoes, cheese and bacon in any recipe!
I made these on Saturday night and then just popped them in the oven for about 30 minutes on Sunday after church. I LOVE anything that can be put together ahead of time, especially for holidays. So while the kids were hunting Easter eggs, this was baking. Perfect 🙂
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 5 lb potatoes
- 1 lb . thick cut bacon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter , melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onion (chives), chopped
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (or more if you like pepper!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large saucepan, and add enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; return to pan, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain; let cool, and crumble into pieces.
- Using a fork, mash the potatoes in pan until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese, butter, and sour cream, and stir until combined and smooth. Add the chives, 2 cups cheddar cheese, half the bacon, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop into a 9x13" baking dishe. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake until top is slightly golden and potatoes are heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; garnish with remaining bacon and more green onions. Serve immediately.
This was originally posted in 2013, and I just updated it now with new photos because we had it for Easter dinner again this year (2017.) But I couldn’t bring myself to delete these old pictures of the kids’ Easter egg hunt. They were so little! I did add an updated photo of all the cousins at the bottom, though. There are a few more kids in the group now!
Easter Sunday 2017 with the cousins and Grandpa and Grandma
If you like Twice Baked Potato Casserole, you may like these other side dishes!
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Crockpot Express Cranberry Sauce - October 14, 2019
- How to Cook a Turkey FAST: 90 minute turkey recipe - October 8, 2019
- Crockpot Express Pumpkin Pie Bites - October 1, 2019