This recipe is nothing new. I guess you could say it’s as old as dirt. Bwahahaha!!! 😀 I know, that was terrible. Anyway, this is my husband’s favorite dessert, even though he is a full grown man 🙂 He requests it for his birthday every year, and now he’s got the boys asking for the same thing when their birthdays roll around! I think it’s a secret plot to pull them all away from the traditional Earthquake Cake that I grew up with! Nevertheless, I think everyone secretly loves to slurp up a gummy worm once in a while! I used this recipe as a reminder/inspiration with a few little minor changes or clarifications.
Day 263: Dirt Cake
- 2 small 3.4 oz boxes of instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 package 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 12-16 oz. Cool Whip
- 1 package 14.3 oz Oreo cookies, crushed (I put mine in a gallon sized baggie and crush with a rolling pin) with 1/2 cup set aside.
- Gummy worms for garnish and slurping 😉
- Mix chocolate pudding and milk together with a whisk and place in the refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese on low until it's smooth and then stir in the Cool Whip.
- Gently fold chocolate pudding mix into the cream mixture until wellblended.
- In a trifle bowl for presentation, or a clean flower pot for whimsy, layer pudding mixture and crushed Oreos, beginning with pudding, until gone. (I usually get 3 layers of each) Be sure to leave enough Oreotopping to completely cover the last layer of pudding.
- Top with gummy worms and a fake flower if using a flower pot. You can use a garden trowel or sand shovel for serving to complete the theme! 🙂
- Keep refrigerated and serve cold.
If you like OREO cookies, I have a whole bunch of great recipes using everyone’s favorite cookie! Try one of these:
Latest posts by Nicole Burkholder (see all)
- Twice Baked Potatoes - January 24, 2020
- Chicken Tortilla Soup: slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe - January 14, 2020
- Crockpot Express Sausage, Potatoes and Green Beans - January 2, 2020