You know how a certain smell or taste can bring memories flooding back to your mind? This Almond Punch is exactly that for me. I grew up as a pastor’s kid and so my mom was always hosting wedding showers, baby showers, ladies’ group activities and church potlucks. This slushy punch (also known as Wedding Punch) was a staple at those events. I am transported back to childhood every time I take a sip. It’s cool, refreshing and full of flavor. The fact that you prepare it early is a huge bonus when you are party planning!
My mom made this for Garret and Anna’s wedding reception party a couple weeks ago. She doubles the recipe when she makes it and it fills this GIGANTIC Tupperware container (it has to be at least 3 gallons.) We served over 100 people easily. Even if you make this as instructed, you’re still going to need a very large container in which to freeze the punch. You’ve been warned. 😉
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 box 3.4 oz Jell-o Strawberry or Raspberry
- 1 can 46 oz. pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 8 cups cold water
- Bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil and then add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add Jell-o packet and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a LARGE plastic container, mix pineapple juice, almond extract and cold water. Slowly add in the hot water mixture and stir.
- Cover and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and let thaw to a slushy consistency when ready to serve.
The thawing process can take a while, so be prepared. You can see in the picture up on the top that the center of our punch was still pretty frozen. There may or may not have been a sharp knife hacking away at the frozen punch to help hurry it along. 😉 It all depends on the container you use and how hot it is that day. You can always toss it back into the freezer if it’s starting to melt too much. The perfect thing about this punch is that it keeps itself cold as it thaws so you don’t need to add ice or worry about watering it down too much. With summer coming up soon, you’ll have lots of opportunities to use this Almond Wedding Punch for picnics, parties, campouts and wedding showers!
If you’re looking for more great punch recipes, check out my Pretty Pink and Baby Blue punch recipes here!