Sweet, chewy and crispy, Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats are a simple and delicious way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with the kids!
I was going to say, “Can you believe were already headed in March?” However, that’s a terrible opening line, because YES. Yes I can believe we’re “already” heading into March because January and February have been about 739 days long this year. I’m so ready to celebrate the coming of spring with fun things like Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats!
I’m being a bit dramatic and whiny, because the sun is currently shining and today the high will be in the 60’s. Plus, we really do need all the rain we’ve been getting this year. Let’s just say it’s a good thing I don’t live anywhere near the “Polar Vortex” zone. I’d probably be unbearable. 🙂
March is here, spring and Easter are just around the corner, so grab the kids and make some memories in the kitchen. Or just do it for yourself, because marshmallow treats are AWESOME at any age. Seriously. I’ll never never say no to a chewy treat. 🙂
What you’ll need to make Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats
- Rice Krispies cereal
- green food coloring
- green and white sprinkles or a St. Patrick’s Day mix like this one
- white candy melts
- shamrock cookie cutter
In two large microwave safe bowls, separate your marshmallows in half with butter and heat for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows get puffy. You can also do this on the stove if you prefer to melt and mix your marshmallows that way. Mix in a couple drops of food coloring in one and about four in the other to achieve to different colors.
Now mix in the Rice Krispies cereal in each bowl.
Press into a greased pan and let cool.
After cooling, cut into shamrocks.
Dip the shamrocks halfway into the white chocolate and top with sprinkles. Let harden for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats
- Grease a small 9x13” pan with butter or a non stick cooking spray.
- In two large microwave safe bowls, separate your marshmallows in half with 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and heat for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows get puffy
- Mix in a couple drops of food coloring in one and about four in the other to achieve to different colors.
- Now mix in three cups of Rice Krispies cereal in each bowl.
- Scoop each color into your pan, half and half, press down firmly and freeze for 15 minutes before using a shamrock cookie cutter to cut out your shapes.
- Melt your candy melts In a small microwave safe bowl on 50% power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Dip the shamrocks halfway into the white chocolate and top with sprinkles.
- Let harden for 30 minutes and enjoy!
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
If chocolate mint is more your speed, check out this Chocolate Mint Mousse Pie!