Indulge in a sweet treat without going completely overboard with these Chocolate Covered Banana Bites! The crispy chocolate shell is perfect with frozen banana slices.
I love an easy recipe. I especially love an easy recipe with just a few ingredients. Even better? When it tastes great on top of it all! 🙂 These Chocolate Covered Banana Bites are a fantastic snack, especially when you are craving something sweet and chocolaty but don’t want to ruin your diet. Chocolatey? Chocolatie? Choklutty. There. That’s it.
Anyway, I broke down and bought my first jar of coconut oil this week just for this recipe that I saw on The View From Great Island. I know some people live and die by the stuff, but I just never got past all the hype. If you can cook, bake, do dental work, wash your face, unclog a drain and fix your car engine with the same thing…I don’t know. Call me a cynic. 🙂
OK, that may be a little extreme, but you get my drift. However, it’s my new favorite thing for dipping chocolate. Because it’s a solid below 76° it hardens immediately upon contact with frozen or cold things. Like bananas. Behold, the secret of the magic shell! So, even at $5 for a cheap bottle of the stuff, I’ll be keeping it around. Maybe I’ll even wash my face. 😉
First, lay the banana slices out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper and freeze.
Microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil to melt, then allow to cool a bit.
Dip the frozen banana slices and coat on all sides. Use a fork to lift them out of the chocolate.
Return to freezer and serve frozen!
Indulge in a sweet treat with refreshing frozen banana slices covered in a dark chocolate shell
- 2 medium bananas sliced
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Lay the banana slices out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Put in the freezer to cool and harden (about an hour)
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth. Allow to cool a bit.
- Dip frozen banana slices in the chocolate, coating on all sides. Use a fork to lift them out of the chocolate and drain off the excess chocolate.
- Place the dipped slices back on the parchment paper and return to the freezer.
- Serve frozen, or soften in the refrigerator for a few minutes before serving (you do NOT want them to defrost completely or you end up with chocolate shell covered mush.)
Pretty awesome, right? Easy, delicious, good for you-as long as you don’t eat twelve in a sitting. Another winner!
Like these Chocolate Covered Banana Bites? You’ll like these, too!
Post updated 6/2018