This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Bionico (or Mexican fruit salad) is all about that creamy sauce poured over the fresh fruit. Street food doesn’t get any better than this!
A few months ago we had a family breakfast at church and a young man from the church who works as a chef at a local restaurant made breakfast for everyone. It was buffet style, and at the end of the table was a huge bowl of fresh fruit and several small milk jugs full of this sweet cream. He told us to fill a cup with fruit, add coconut if we wanted it and then pour the cream over the top. I took one bite and was hooked. It was so delicious!
I fully intended to get the recipe from Jorge as soon as breakfast was over but I forgot. I figured it would be easy to just look it up online when I was home to find the ingredients. I was very wrong. I couldn’t find ANYTHING! A few weeks later I asked him to give me the recipe. He told me I probably wouldn’t find anything online because it’s a Mexican dish called Bionico. You can find it sold in little markets and on street carts in the farmer’s markets.
After finding out the real name, I looked it up and found some recipes online. My impression is that Bionico is a little bit like the Mexican version of marinara sauce. Everyone’s mother makes the best and her secret recipe is the only one worth trying. 🙂 But since I’ve only had Jorge’s recipe and it was awesome, that’s the one I’m sharing with you!
Bionico: Mexican Fruit Salad
- 1 pound strawberries sliced
- 3 bananas sliced
- 3 kiwis peeled and diced
- 3 apples cored and diced
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 pound grapes sliced lengthwise
- coconut flakes optional
- You can use any fruit that you like-melons pineapple, mango, golden raisins, etc.
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 pint sour cream
- 16 oz vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- After cutting the fruit, toss it all together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the sweet cream ingredients with a whisk. The consistency should be thinner than yogurt but thicker than milk. If you use plain yogurt, you may want to add a little more honey for sweetness. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop fruit into a bowl, top with coconut if desired and then pour the sweet cream over the top.