Bionico (or Mexican fruit salad) is all about that creamy sauce poured over the fresh fruit. Street food doesn’t get any better than this!
A few months ago we had a family breakfast at church and a young man from the church who works as a chef at a local restaurant made breakfast for everyone. It was buffet style, and at the end of the table was a huge bowl of fresh fruit and several small milk jugs full of this sweet cream. He told us to fill a cup with fruit, add coconut if we wanted it and then pour the cream over the top. I took one bite and was hooked. It was so delicious!
I fully intended to get the recipe from Jorge as soon as breakfast was over but I forgot. I figured it would be easy to just look it up online when I was home to find the ingredients. I was very wrong. I couldn’t find ANYTHING! A few weeks later I asked him to give me the recipe. He told me I probably wouldn’t find anything online because it’s a Mexican dish called Bionico. You can find it sold in little markets and on street carts in the farmer’s markets.
After finding out the real name, I looked it up and found some recipes online. My impression is that Bionico is a little bit like the Mexican version of marinara sauce. Everyone’s mother makes the best and her secret recipe is the only one worth trying. 🙂 But since I’ve only had Jorge’s recipe and it was awesome, that’s the one I’m sharing with you!
Bionico: Mexican Fruit Salad
- 1 pound strawberries sliced
- 3 bananas sliced
- 3 kiwis peeled and diced
- 3 apples cored and diced
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 pound grapes sliced lengthwise
- coconut flakes optional
- You can use any fruit that you like-melons pineapple, mango, golden raisins, etc.
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 pint sour cream
- 16 oz vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- After cutting the fruit, toss it all together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the sweet cream ingredients with a whisk. The consistency should be thinner than yogurt but thicker than milk. If you use plain yogurt, you may want to add a little more honey for sweetness. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, scoop fruit into a bowl, top with coconut if desired and then pour the sweet cream over the top.