This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Patriotic broken glass jell-o is a fun, colorful, and delicious dessert that’s perfect for any summer occasion. It’s easy to customize the colors for any event!
As we gear up for patriotic holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, there’s nothing quite like a good old fashioned potluck to bring people together. And what better way to show off your patriotism than with a colorful and delicious dessert?
That’s where Patriotic Broken Glass Jello comes in. It’s a perfect addition to all my red/white/blue recipes perfect for the 4th of July and other patriotic holidays.
What is Broken Glass Jello?
Patriotic broken glass jello is a colorful and festive dessert that’s perfect for any patriotic occasion. It’s made by layering different colored jello flavors in a dish and then breaking them into small, bite-sized pieces once they’ve set. The end result is a beautiful and eye-catching treat that’s sure to be a hit at any potluck or party.
- red Jell-o (use any flavor that you like-this recipe uses strawberry)
- blue Jell-o
- unflavored gelatin (typically sold in a box with packets like these)
- sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk!)
- boiling water
Begin by mixing the red gelatin powder with boiling water until completely dissolved. Then pour into a greased 9×13 pan and chill until completely set (about 2-3 hours.)
Follow the same steps for the blue gelatin powder in a second 9×13 pan.
After both colors have completely set, prepare the white layer by mixing boiling water with the unflavored gelatin packets until dissolved. Whisk in the the condensed milk and allow to cool to room temperature.
While the white gelatin mixture is cooling, cut the red and blue Jell-o into one inch cubes. Then mix together into one clean and greased 9×13 pan. Spread as evenly as possible along the bottom of the pan.
Pour the cooled white mixture over the top of the red and blue cubes and return to the refrigerator to fully set (2-4 hours, or overnight.)
Slice into squares and serve chilled!
Tips for Making the Perfect Patriotic Broken Glass Jello
An important tip is to let each layer of jello set completely before adding the next layer. This will help to prevent the colors from bleeding together and will ensure that the final product looks as colorful and vibrant as possible.
Finally, be patient when it comes to breaking the Jello into small pieces. It can be tempting to rush this step, but taking the time to carefully cut the Jello into small, bite-sized pieces will make all the difference in the final presentation.
Variations and Substitutions
One of the great things about broken glass jello is that it’s highly customizable. While the classic patriotic version features red, white, and blue jello, you can use any colors that you like.
Using colors that match the theme of a particular event or party is a great way to carry over the theme onto the dessert table. For example, you might use orange and black jello for a Halloween-themed dessert, or red and green jello for a Christmas treat.
You can also experiment with different flavors of jello to create unique and delicious combinations. For example, you might try using strawberry and lime jello for a fun and fruity twist.
Patriotic Broken Glass Jello Recipe FAQs
Yes, you can use sugar-free jello if you prefer. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the box carefully, as the ratios of water and jello powder may be different than for regular jello.
Yes, you can make broken glass jello up to a few days in advance. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it.
Yes, you can add fresh fruit to the jello layers if you like. However, be sure not to use certain fruits with enzymes that interact with gelatin like pineapple, kiwi, mango, guava and papaya.
Patriotic Broken Glass Jello
- 1 6 oz box blue Jello used Berry Blast
- 1 6 oz box red Jello used Strawberry
- 2 .25 oz packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups boiling water divided
- Grease two 9×13 baking dishes and set aside.
- 1 6 oz box blue Jello, 6 cups boiling waterMix the blue jello with 2 cups of boiling water in a large bowl until the jello completely dissolves.
- Pour the blue jello mixture into one of the prepared baking dishes and place inside of your refrigerator to cool and set, about 2-3 hours.
- 1 6 oz box red Jello, 6 cups boiling waterRepeat the process with the red jello, mix with 2 cups of boiling water until fully dissolved and pour into the other prepared baking dish.
- Chill for 2-3 hours until the jello is set.
- 2 .25 oz packets unflavored gelatin, 6 cups boiling waterIn a separate bowl, mix together the two packets of unflavored gelatin with 2 cups of boiling water until the gelatin fully dissolves.
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milkWhisk the condensed milk into the gelatin mixture until combined. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- While the gelatin cools, slice the blue and red jello into 1 inch squares.
- Spray a clean 9×13 dish with cooking spray and arrange the jello slices into the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer.
- Pour the cooled white gelatin mixture over the top of the jello slices.
- Place the dish into the refrigerator to chill for 2-4 hours, or overnight, until fully set. Slice into squares or cubes and serve, enjoy!