A few changes for next time:
- Instead of an even mixture of Italian sausage and ground beef, I’d go with a little more beef and a little less sausage. The sausage is GREAT with the apple pieces, though. Those flavors married very well.
- I used little whole wheat buns because that’s what I had. The Kaiser rolls in the original look so much better, and this was a big burger that needed a big bun.
- It’s a crime not to add cheese to a burger in my opinion, so I used American this time. Next time, I’d elevate it with a slice of Swiss or even Gouda. It needed a strong flavor to stand up to the sausage and bacon.
- I always love purple onion on a burger, and this one was missing it. I’d probably chop it and mix it into the meat with the apple pieces. Such yummy texture!
- The sauce was a little heavy on the mayo side for my hubby. Next time I’ll use more mustard and less mayo (but I thought it was OK)